Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

First chitted parsnip seeds in!

I managed to sow 3 stations with chitted seeds today, two to each. This is 9 or so days later than last year but bearing in mind the recent cold weather it's to be expected. The rest of the stations (47 of them!) should get sorted within a few days as and when more chitted seeds become available in the tub.





You need to look at the parsnip seeds every few hours as once they're through the roots can grow very quickly. I like to get them in when they're no more than a millimetre long, placing them into the prepared bore hole very carefully with tweezers. This is probably a little too long but can still be done if you are very gentle.




I cover them over with 1/4" of compost, give them a watering and put a small pane of glass over to keep them moist. The leaves should be up in 12-15 days. A bigger sheet of glass is put over the drum to keep cats out....very important where I live.

It has been a lovely warm sunny day at last and I managed to get my wisteria pruned. Usually I do this in January. And a good day got even better as Man U beat Loserfools and Chelski could only draw. A 19th Championship is nigh!

1 comment:

lisa said...

I like your blog :) Don't laugh, but I had to google parsnips beacuse I had no idea what you were talking about...lol.