Search This Blog

Friday, March 12, 2010

Top tip from the Macemaster


I went to a lecture given by top amateur grower Ivor Mace last night. Best known for his chrysanths and huge onions he's also been a national champion with carnations, roses and daffodils. One excellent tip I picked up was the way he mixes his potting mix for chrysanths and I shall be bearing it in mind this weekend when I do my parsnip mix. He recommended mixing the light ingredients first, such as the compost, vermiculite and the nutrients and getting them all thoroughly mixed before adding the heavier ingredients such as the soil (and sand in the case of parsnips). It certainly makes sense and should ensure a more even distribution of the nutrients.

7 comments:

Dan said...

I always wondered where you got your dress sense from.
And that's coming from me with my "Tramp Chic"
Nice...lol

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Coming from a bloke who got a hard on when a soppy bird smiled at him I shall treat that comment with the contempt it deserves LOL

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

For bird read finch.....not blond leggy type either.

Dan. said...

The feathered type are always better.
They appreciate genuine acts of kindness,Oh and they don't keep you fannywhipped until you finish the wallpapering.
;)

Dan said...

Having said all that.
I really need a shag..!! LOL

Dan said...

Or even a Cormorant !

Dene Wood said...

Boobies anyone?