Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The monsters in the undergrowth

I planted 3 pumpkins up at the allotment which were grown from seed I begged from the growers of the european record pumpkin seen at Malvern last September. Illness and holiday have kept me away from the allotment until tonight but lurking within the huge plants are 4 or 5 potentially large fruits that are already the size of a beach ball. I shall be very interested to see how big these get because they've had absolutely no TLC from me........but being planted where last year's muck heap was may have got them off to a flying start.

3 comments:

Dan said...

It's all about spending an absolute fortune on Mycorrhizal Fungi and innoculating the roots and burying the leaf nodes and any tendrils so they produce even more roots apparently if you want to get amassive one.
That's been the secret of the recent monsters apparently.
It's a proper millionaires sport now if you want to grow a real monster given the price of the damn fungi you need to keep up with the big boys..
Anyway I hope you get a huge one growing 'em normally.
I tried it once and managed a 112 lb'er,tiny by today's sizes but the plant filled my polytunnel up completely so I never bothered again..
Dan.

Veg4Show said...

They are looking pretty nice, big plant.

I'm growing mine for halloween and so far so good, I have a good 15 fruits set on 5 plants that just bigger than a cricket ball.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Liam,

Looks like one huge plant but there are actually 3 that have grown into each other.