Search This Blog

Friday, May 01, 2009

Shall I, shan't I?

I was toying with the idea of sowing my first runner beans this weekend. The reason being that based on my usual sowing date of mid-May I often don't have decent beans for my first 2 or 3 shows and my best ones tend to come in the 3 week period between my last two shows. Typical! However, if we have a hot summer they can be gone past their best well before the end of August and a hot summer has been forecast!

I have some seeds given to me the legendary Les Stothard from Blyton and he says on no circumstances should I thin the clusters of beans as they will grow far too long! He says they'll get to 18" without being beany no problem....assuming I grow them well of course!
The beans below are Sherie Plumb's winning Malvern entry. What I wouldn't give to have a set of beans remotely as good as these....

No comments: