Search This Blog

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Shallots growing away well

The raised wooden bed I made to plant my best shallots into has worked a treat so far. Being able to tend to them at chest height has taken the strain off my back. (In front of the bed are a couple of drums containing a few more long carrots, which as yet are barely an inch or so high).















The Dave Thornton strain has some really strong tops and are currently as big as some of my own strain that I normally harvest in June. If they carry on swelling at the current rate I should have some stonkers to show. I gave my own shallots a potash feed but these one's don't seem to need any excess feed at the moment.














I planted my own shallots alongside these Vento onions, and both seem to be growing away well. I thinned all my shallots down to four and don't seem to be noticing any decrease in the size of each bulb....if anything they seem bigger than last year. The Vento onions seem to be a good variety but as I haven't grown it before I shall have to experiment with the diameter at which I harvest in order to make sure they stay under the 8oz mark.




No comments: