Search This Blog

Friday, May 01, 2009

Carrot germination issues!

For the second year running I'm experiencing problems with my long carrots, and even my stumps have joined them in causing me stress. Only about 30 of my 48 long carrot stations have come through, despite having a small cluster of seed in each. Surely every single seed isn't dead?

In my first bed of 22 Sweet Candle they all started popping up very quickly, but for some strange reason 4 stations down one side never materialised. I know I placed seed in each so how can this be so? One or two did emerge in the last couple of days, many days later than the first ones so now I'm in a quandary as to what to do next.....re-sow or sit tight and wait. If I wait too long it'll be too late as the ones that are through will soon swamp the late arrivals which will suffer size wise.

Decisions decisions.


Postscript: Since heard from Dave Thornton....he's been having germination issues also. Must be down to this swine flu!

1 comment:

Ian Stocks said...

Simon - Resow and don`t wait.I did this with these crap pelleted parsnips but waited too long