Search This Blog

Saturday, May 23, 2009

First spud shoots up

This is Winston at the front, a white variety. I topped up the bags with more compost which is like earthing up in the open ground, but the shoots have now come through this and are now above the top of the bags. I'll need to keep an eye out on the weather forecast as I don't want frost nipping this early growth.















These bags and pots have Maxine and Pixie and are just breaking the compost surface. I shall be topping these up with compost in the next week. The pots are not such a good way of growing exhibition spuds as they don't flex like the bags so the swellling tubers have nowhere to go. I've been buying more bags each season and will stop using the pot method eventually.

1 comment:

JBA seed potatoes said...

What size of polypots are you using Simon?