Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2008

Points make prizes!






Most of my veg and dahlia plants have now been planted but there's no time to rest and a little planning ahead can pick you up some 'cards' in other classes. I have split several clumps of different succulents and potted them up into 3" clay pots and topped them off with a granite chipping mulch. These will hopefully fill out a little and look good for Sturton at the beginning of October when there are several classes for cacti and succulents. For the sake of a little time and effort I may be able to pick up a 3rd, 2nd or even a 1st in the class for 3 succulents in max. 3" pots. Make sure you pop in a label if possible, give them a good watering and you can more or less forget about them for weeks at a time as they really can look after themselves.
Another class at one of my local shows is for a small basket or vase of various herbs, and with this in mind I gave a lemon balm plant in my veg garden path a good haircut as I know that by early September there'll be plenty of fresh young shoots for picking and arranging with other veg such as thyme, rosemary, chives etc. If I left this plant it would flower and go to seed and would look very straggly and totally unsuitable for exhibition. Again, with a little effort and creativity you can create an attractive display which can pick up an extra point or two in those shows where there are trophies for most points in show.
At most shows I tend to pick up points not just in veg but also for dahlias, fuchsias, herbs, cut flowers cacti and even for baking a cake in the 'men only' section!

No comments: