Search This Blog

Thursday, July 31, 2008

First marrows swelling nicely


At this time of the year I like to be getting one or two show entries 'in the bag' so to speak.

By that I mean making sure my shallots are tied (see previous post) and graded into the various sets, onions are lifted, cleaned and ripening and that plenty of marrows are growing well.

This one is about 4" long and there are 3 others so that makes 2 entries for my first two shows. I'll cut them when they're about 10-12" long (although my daughter's boyfriend may have to do that when I'm on holiday). Once one reaches the desired length it'll be stored in the garage away from direct sunlight and then bought out daily to compare against the others still growing. I find that marrows keep fairly well once cut although the stalk does tend to wither, but if you cut a long stalk you can trim it at the show to give the appearance of that 'just harvested' look.

And keep that crinkled flower on if possible!

No comments: