Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Another pumpkin punt!


I just couldn't resist....despite 2 seasons of abject failure the lure of trying to grow a large pumpkin was too great once again. Once you do get one to set it can be quite incredible how quickly they grow and I've been bitten since I grew a 100 pounder several years ago. A couple of seasons ago I had one that was growing at over 2 inches a day but then mice deciding to use it as their own personal larder and it stopped growing.
I haven't exactly given it the best conditions and it's going to have to scramble over a gravel path for several yards until it gets to soft soil again so if a fruit sets over the stones I'll have to make sure I put something under it to stop the stones piercing it. I have 4 or 5 small pumpkin fruits growing but I'll reduce to 2 and then the strongest one in the next couple of weeks. They'll get plenty of water and feed once it has 'taken off' !

2 comments:

Veg4Show said...

My grandfather in his day use to grow punkins. I always remember a few plants with a 300lb+ punkin growing away. I have yet to learn the secret from him after he gave up due to savatage. Might give it a shot next year, hope you get a big one.

Anonymous said...

Good luck - I have always wondered what the secret was!