Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spud prep


It's not yet time to be planting up your spud bags but you can be digging trenches, sieving your peat/compost and making sure you have plenty of Vitax Q4 and Seaweed meal to hand. This little sketch illustrates how I do it. I know Sherie Plumb mixes her nutrients and compost alltogether but I confine the nutrients to the bottom layer only, below where the new spuds will be developing. As I use Vitaz Q4 pellets rather than the finer ground stuff I cannot risk them coming into contact with the skins on the developing tubers and scorching them. Just a personal method but it worked for me very well last season. I shall be doing one or two things differently however, more on this in mid-April.

1 comment:

JBA seed potatoes said...

I am using the same method as you Simon. I have some Bishop in bags today and have left them in the greenhouse.