Search This Blog

Friday, September 14, 2012

In the red corner, and still the disputed BBC heavyweight champion....

Considering the year we've all had the quality and quantity on display at Harrogate today was simply awesome. Of course, I retained my BBC crown against the Huddersfield and Ingleton YMCA, although it was closer on points than I would have liked, and I was saved by my 17 out of 20 scoring celery. I actually lost out on a ticket in this class and the 6x1 class by 1/2 a point, signifying that I am heading in the right direction and bridging the gap between myself and the very best. This was the first show where I certainly felt my produce deserved to be in the same company.

Best moment for me was a dizzying 5th place in the National Carrot Championships (pic below), my long carrots scoring 16 out of 20, half a point off the best scoring set. I even outscored 6th place Dave Thornton. I secured a 4th place ticket in the tap root collection, beating Dave again.

However, I was gazzumped by my protege Paul Wlodarczak who achieved an incredible second in the National Carrot Championships, going one better to win the tap root class and french beans. I fully expect to go back on Sunday to help peel him off the ceiling as he was as high as a kite!

Honourable mentions to Dan who was 3rd in the onion class and Paul Bastow who was 3rd for the second year running in the 250g onion class. I heard several stories of growers holding back their best stuff for the National. If that's true then Malvern is going to be amazing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi simon just a quick question. How do prepare the carrots? can you apply wax or polish? Could you recommend any thing to put shine on them?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Under no circumstances should you apply any foreign substance to your carrots as you will very likely be disqualified. Well grown carrots should only need hosing down to remove soil then washed in clean water. Clean around the carrot rather than up and down. Transport to the show in damp towels.

Dan said...

Ifyou could just grow a straight stump.
Stop buying Sweet Boomerang.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Imagine the pisstaking I'd be subjected to if they ever manage to actually beat me......!