Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ringing the changes

There was some discussion recently about reducing class quantities at the National Championships, specifically from 5 to 3 for things like blanch leeks, long carrots, long beet and parsnips. The 'dinosaurs' won the day and it's not something that will be adopted for now but I hope they'll think again in future. Over the years other veg have been reduced, such as runner beans from 18 to 12 for instance. At Llangollen there were only 3 entries in the blanch leek class, so surely having 5 entries of 3 would look better than having 3 entries of 5???

The old fogies argument was that 'BUT IT'S THE NATIONAL' and that it should be harder to win. Well of course it fecking well would be....the best growers would still be there but they wouldn't have to stretch themselves so much, and the likes of myself would be tempted to have a crack. As it is I cannot see myself ever attempting blanch leeks, long beet or long carrots when I might have to pull half my crop of long roots for instance. Some of us don't have vast rolling acres with dozens of raised beds and drums. What are they gonna do when there is one or even no entries in a class? The argument really doesn't wash i'm afraid. When a team reaches the FA Cup Final they don't suddenly have to play the game over 180 minutes just because 'IT'S THE FA CUP FINAL!'




I've said many times before that show organisers should reduce quantities if they want to increase interest, and in village shows this means reducing from 3 to 2 if necessary. The benefit is two-fold. The guy who perhaps only grows one barrel has a chance of finding a set of two, and the more experienced guy who grows several barrels will continue supporting his local show if he only has to sacrifice a pair and can save the rest of his crop for the bigger shows that he likes to have a go at. I've been on several show committees where the long carrot class was declining and after we changed it to a pair from a set of 3 numbers started to rise. It certainly looks much better on the benches and makes the judge earn his corn too. In my opinion, things like cabbages should be reduced to a single specimen for village shows.



However, to be fair to the NVS they have introduced a new class this year for 15 pointer veg and below, according the latest magazine 'Simply Veg'. In an effort to try and encourage new growers to have a crack this year it will be table marrows (a pair?) which leads me to believe the choice of vegetable will change from year to year (can anyone clarify this?). I wasn't going to bother with marrows this season but I may have to rethink my plans now I know this, although I don't think i'll be growing Blyton Belle any more as I've found it a little shy to produce fruits the last couple of seasons. Whatever happens, I reckon we'll all have to beat Marcus Powell who won the Midlands last year with these Bush Baby, the best pair of marrows i've seen for quite some time.

11 comments:

Marcus said...

Thanks Simon...

Seed has already arrived, might be pushed to get a pair like that again though!!

chris the gardener said...

i agree with most of your comments simon but if you are good at local shows with the same stuff that you need for national level then your local show will decline as more growers will do nationals, so get good at local and do more next year to hope to do more for nationals if that sounds right.

Damo said...

Fair point, anything that encourages people to have a crack at the National is a good thing, you still have to bench a great set on the day and if there are more entries that makes a win worth more doesn't it?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

You hit the nail on the head there Damo.....by the way i'm told marrows will be a set of three!!! Never seen marrows as a three ANYWHERE. Unbelievable!

Dan said...

For once I completely agree with you.
Just three entries in the Leeks in a National Competition ? ridiculous.
So in that case the "National" Leek champ only beat two people to be the best in the country,and to become the Thrid best Leek Grower you didn't have to beat anybody at all,just turn up it seems ? (I'm not saying that the 3rd place weren't brilliant too)but you know what I mean...
What a joke.
If I remember at Harrogate there were loads of entries in the Leek class and they are one of the things that the public marvel at.
So it seems like a bit of an old boys club for just the "Elite" growers rather than a spectacle for the public if you ask me.

Anonymous said...

Dan. Their won't be as many entries at Harrowgate this year, as it is four weeks after the National which will prove Simon right.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Actually....the National at Malvern is the week after Harrogate.

Dan said...

Anonymous:whoever you are ?.
I DO agree with Simon,so where you get the idea that I don't confuses me.In as much as that it seems to be a competition that you can only seem to be sucessful in if you have extensive amounts of growing space due to the additional number of veg in each class.
To get 5 long Carrots you'd need to empty numerous barrels,so this takes it out of the reach of most growers unless you are lucky enough to have enough money and spare time to have dedicated carrot houses as some do,or you just grow everything for that single show.
Anyway I'll see you at Harrogate in October.
I can't be arsed !

Marcus said...

3 marrows!!!!! Ludicrous. It's bad enough getting 2 to match. Reducing carrots, parsnips etc.. to 3 has got to be the way to go. More entries and gives the smaller grower a fighting chance of a card.(no pun intended Simon..)

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

To get 3 matching marrows I reckon you need to grow 10 plants to have a chance. Which novice grower has that much room??

Marcus said...

I grew 3 last year Simon and got lucky. I'm growing 6 this year. Being a bush type it takes up less space.