Search This Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Back to the suture

About 12 years ago I used to cut up my stock shallots so that each little bulblet was extricated for individual planting. This was on Medwyn's recommendation at the time, the idea being that you don't have to thin them out later in the season and hopefully you got perfectly round bulbs come harvest time.

I cetainly used to get well shaped bulbs, although quite small, and at the time I won a lot of local shows. Therefore, I decided today to try cutting up a couple of the stonkers that Dave T gave me, and I suddenly remembered why I stopped doing it....it's a right fiddlefuck of a job. You need to peel away the outer skins and carefully part the separate bulblets with a sharp knife, exercising all the skills of a surgeon to cut through the base plate so that each thinning has some rootplate attached.

The two bulbs gave me 8 tiny thinnings which I planted up in 3" pots tonight and I shall mark them through the season to monitor how they fare.

1 comment:

ontheplot said...

Simon

My Late father in law told me his father used this method in the late forty's early fifty's. It was popular with the miners in Aryshire at that time. It will be realy interesting to see how you get on with it. I split some last year when I had about 4 inch of top growth(what a disaster)