Search This Blog

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Schools of (non) thought

For the past 3 years I've been working for 20% less wages than I was, with no pay rise in that time and for longer hours. Such is life in this fecked up financial world we live in, but you just have to get on with it. It means I cannot justify spending huge amounts on the garden so I have to mackle and make do. No doubt if I was a bleating twat, surviving on only on 13 weeks paid holiday a year, working in warm classrooms, starting at the ungodly hour of 9am and finishing at the ridiculous time of 3.30pm with only an hour and a half for lunch I would rise up and take the government to task for daring to ask me to contribute to the mess like every fucker else in the private sector is doing.




So, with less money to spend on expensive composts and Link-a-bord raised beds I've had to use a little ingenuity about the plot. I have two large compost bins made from old pallets and they really have been doing me proud the last couple of years with the amount of good quality homemade compost they've been churning out. I've managed to fill several old salvaged drums with this finely sieved homemade stuff for growing cylindrical beet in as there is a specific class for this in a couple of shows I hope to be entering this season including Westminster. I'm growing a variety called Forono for this, and the deep, friable compost in the drums means I should get some nice, straight, uniform roots with a long central tap root. This was the cylindrical beet class at Westminster last season. As you can see matching up is certainly harder than with globe beet so I'm growing a lot more this season as my entry was unplaced (middle right)!















I also managed to purloin this old recycling dustbin from the side of our house as it was never getting used for the job it was intended i.e. being filled with recycled rubbish. Purple bin bags were merely thrown in its general direction. Now the bin is full of more homemade compost and is being used to grow some 'Purple Haze' carrots which I believe are the sweetest tasting carrot. I also grow it as a colourful addition for trug displays.




















Right, that's it for now, if you'll excuse me i've got to go and see if I can't eat into my holiday entitlement in order to look after my daughter whilst her teachers are standing up for their statutory perks.

9 comments:

Dan said...

Teachers....Oh how I'd like to pay 6% of my wage and then get a 50% final salary pension.At that rate,if you work (work...yea right !) for 32 years you only need to live 4 years past retirement age to get your money back.
Then it's up to us tax payers to pay for your retirement in clover.
If teachers are so worried about being financially stricken in old age then why not get a second job in your 3 months of holidays,weekends and bank holidays that they don't work.
Lazy Guardian reading lefty tossers.
Anyway back to more serious matters,what's the best sort of wood shavings to use to ripen and dry off shallots and onions ?

Richard W. said...

I grew Purple Haze last year and they really were the sweetest carrots I've ever tasted. I wish I'd done them again this year but chose Purple Dragon for a change only to discover they're not in the same league.

Funny how end of school year teacher gifts aren't selling in our shop this year. Recession? I think not! Zero support for them in this part of the world.

Marcus said...

Dan, I use soft wood shavings from the pet shop. Seems to work fine.

Simon or Dan, when extracting your stump and long carrots/parsnips from the barrels do you just pull or is there an easier and safer (to keep the tap root as long as possible) way of doing it?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Dan.....i just use anything i can get, the finer the better. They do say different coloured wood shavings give different coloured onions.

Having said all the above I think i'm just gonna wrap each onion in newspaper like I did last season. Seemed to work ok.

Marcus. Extract as much sand from around the carrot and wash any sand off the top of the carrot so it doesn't scratch the skin. Leave to dry off for a few minutes before pulling. Stand above the carrot and pull upwards forcefully but gently. Most of the tap should come up if it's a nice straight carrot.

Richard W. said...

Is that also the best way to get parsnips out of tubes?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Yes do the parsnips the same way.

However it can be a bugger to get them out of tubes not much bigger in diameter than the parsnip. In the past when i've grown them in tubes I lay them on their side and tap until the compost comes loose then pull them out.

Marcus said...

Thanks Simon

Anonymous said...

Here's a laugh for you - I'm in the teachers' pension scheme but I'm not a teacher - I'm a University lecturer on a postgraduate law course. I usually work 12 hour days (with prep and marking) and often work weekends. I never take my full holiday entitlement. Last Saturday I was taken, by ambulance, to hospital with a suspected heart attack. Discharged on Sunday, I went to work on Monday. I'm hoping to win Euromillions tonight so I can tell them squarely to F.R.O. Peter Glazebrook lives near me - when I get some free time I'd like to have a mooch round his manor ....

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Yeah hilarious. Thanks for that!