Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2011

Malvern crown in the balance

I've not posted photos of my tomatoes on here for some time, the reason being that i'm ashamed of them. Something has gone drastically wrong with them in the last month. They have gone from strong plants at planting out to insipid, yellowing, spindly things that look close to Death's door! I've tried spraying with epsom salts and top dressing with ammonium sulphate in case it was a magnesium or nitrogen deficiency but the plants have got worse. I've even cut off whole trusses of tomatoes as I tried to get the plant to re-balance themselves.







































If I didn't know better I'd have said they'd been sprayed with weedkiller but the aubergines growing in front of them are fine. A few years ago there was a serious scare in some parts of the country with contaminated manure as cows ate grass that had been treated with a herbicide that didn't break down in the cows stomachs. As I spread new manure in a trench below my tomatoes I wondered whether it might be this but that is doubtful as the muck came from a local horse stable and as far as I know the lady owner doesn't spread any herbicide on her field. And besides, my celery is planted into the same stuff and that looks fine, as do the aubergines in front of the tomatoes. All-in-all it's a real mystery and comes just as I thought growing tomatoes was a piece of piss. My chances of defending my Malvern crown appear to have gone. Or have they?

World famous John Trim contacted me via the excellent NVS forum suggested it might be some form of hormonal imbalance, and an old trick from his days as Head Gardener in a large country estate was to crush a 75mg aspirin tablet in a pint of water and give each plant half a pint of the solution. I should see an improvement in a week....if it's going to work! I must admit i'm a little dubious and to be quite honest if it works i'll stage my own gonads on a plate at Malvern too! So I've had to swallow my pride and beg some sideshoots off Dave T this weekend which I will get rooted and plant up as soon as I can. They should get me fruits in time for Harrogate and Malvern if i'm lucky, but I shall limit them to 5 trusses instead of training up into the eaves.


Elsewwhere my long carrots go from strength to strength. I had a sneaky peak at national chumpion Dave T's carrots on Wednesday night when I picked him up en route to a veg talk at North Derby DA. My long and stump carrots are well ahead of his. I also saw his shallots which, whilst impressive, were quite a bit smaller than last season so it seems even the best growers are having an abnormal year.





















I'm also hoping to have better luck with runner beans this season and have gone to extra efforts in the construction of my bean fence. I've used steel rods for bean poles as it's impossible to purchase 10' canes these days. The two wooden cross supports have holes drilled in them so the steel rods are merely passed through without any need for tying. It can all be easily dismantled and stored away for the winter. What's more this baby aint going nowhere in high winds and will also act as a windbreak for my 2011 National Champion winning peas just behind them.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Simon my Cedrico are not much better I have no idea why as all the other varieties are fine ill try the aspirin trick and see what happens I intend to post some photos of my ailing Cedrico tonight
As for ten foot canes there are some on eBay but I suppose you borrowed the steel bars from work
No wonder the company is struggling!!

Kevin Newton said...

Looks like classic magnesium deficiency to me. Remember even if there is plenty in the soil, too much calcium and potassium will reduce the plant's uptake. I'd carry on with the Epsom salts every day for a week.

ontheplot said...

I'm would be with Kevin on the magnesium deficiency if it wasn't the fact that Paul's Cedrico are not great either. Your Carrots look great though.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I've had magnesium deficiency before and a spray with epsom salts usually sorts it out. The leaf colour is different anyway so I really don't think it is

As for the steel bars Paul it's dead easy as our security guard was trained by some useless knob from Huddersfield apparently!

Dan said...

It's defo not infected Horse Muck with Aminopyralid ( is that what you meant)as this causes distorted cupped leaves and stunted growth....By the way just because she doesn't spray it on her own fields isn't proof,the hay she'll get from joskins for feed in winter is another matter,she'll have no way of knowing what's been sprayed on that.
I think you have the rare condition of S.S.S.T.G. I'll leave you to work that one out.
Mine were similar a week ago and I put it down to trace element deficiency due to shite compost so I banged a shit load of tomato food in even before the trusses had any fruit,and sprayed with epsom salts, and they've not got any worse since.I know the former M:T:C wouldn't take any advice from me but It did seem to help my pitiful crop.

Richard W. said...

I'm only growing 4 Cedrico plants, 3 of which are just fine, but the other one is just as Dan describes in the first sentance of his post. It's odd, because this is one of 2 plants in a Levingtons tomato planter bag and the other one is doing great. The plant is still growing, albeit with distortion, and hasn't cross infected the others. In my case, I'm wondering if it's a physiological problem with the strain. I've sprayed Dithane to no avail.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Former MTC? I think you'll find that's current MTC!

I had a brainwave last night and think I might now know what it is. Just gonna run it past DT later today to see what he reckons.

In the meantime I thank you all for your concern. Bastards.

Richard W. said...

Hmm.......a brainwave, eh?

Unknown said...

wot brain
can u get me some 10 foot offcuts of bar?

paul said...

Never thought of steel canes Simon, i scrapped a lot of lengths of 6mm stainless rod not long ago that i could have had for the taking if i had asked for it.