Search This Blog

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Two passions in one!

It's all about spuds for the next few days. I've got Dave Thornton giving a talk at my local hort soc tonight on the history of the humble potato so that should be an opportunity to catch up on some sleep. Then on Monday John Bebbington is also giving a talk at North Mids DA on the same subject. John is regularly amongst the cards at National and Branch level, very often coming second to Sherie Plumb so it will be interesting to see how his methods differ to hers if at all.
On Tuesday it's my intention to drive up to the Lake District and climb several mountains around Haweswater. It's the most unpopular of the seven mountain districts due mainly to it's fairly isolated position so I'm hoping to spend several hours in walking solitude with the fells to myself. The means to an end is to then go to Kendal DA in the evening to listen to Ian Simpson lecturing on stump carrots. Hopefully, I shall also be meeting up with Messrs. Bastow, Unsworth, Wlodarczak, Park (James....not Ji-Sung), Crowther (Chris....not Leslie) and Cameron (Gareth....not David) at the same meeting. Guys.....if I'm not there for 7.30.....call mountain rescue!

10 comments:

Paul.w said...

I'll definitely be there with my PA who will be taking notes! Going by the long range weather forecast using XCweather.co.uk the 8 Feb is looking good for climbing - no rain. ps. sometimes they lie!

mistyhorizon2003 said...

You are so lucky on the UK mainland. We don't have access to visit such useful talks here on Guernsey, and even if we had them they wouldn't be to the same standard as the people you refer to. I wish they would broadcast these types of talks/lectures online so we too could enjoy them and learn from them offshore.

Dan said...

Get yerself to the south end of Haweswater then go up High Street via a ridge and you might even see the Golden Eagle flying around.
Watch out though as it's prey is predominantly small mammals.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Good talk last night. Rest assured Misty that I shall divulge all the relevant tips in due course.

Dan, I shall wear some of that aftershave you swear by......i know it keeps the birds away from you!

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Looking forward to those tips. Actually you can answer one question for me now if possible. I have invested in about 10 potato planter bags, each of which hold 40 litres of compost. The instructions seem a bit vague on how many potatoes I should plant in each one though, and indicate anything from 3 to 5 tubers. If I am aiming for show winning specimens how many per bag would you recommend I plant?

chris the gardener said...

thank god . clutch went on car yesterday and had to mend it in the rain but got it sorted so will see you in kendal unless you get lost in them hills i hope your leaving a paper chain for use to find you if the talk is no good

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Perhaps Iain Tattieman could confirm this.....i assume you mean the tall, green, plasticky bags appearing in some garden centres Misty?

I would only put two spuds in but don't forget to give them a lot of feed...i'd put two good handfuls each of Vitax Q4 and calcified seaweed in the bottom layer, add another layer of compost and pop the tubers into that. Put a few inches on top of the tuber. When the foliage breaks through keep adding more compost until you reach the top.....in effect earthing up.

Chris glad you've got the car fixed. I've got my route up to High Street summit sorted.....then Several more peaks for a brisk 14 miler .....weather forecast is still good so should
be a good day. See you in the evening with Bastard et al.

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Yes Simon, that is the type I have bought, although they may vary slightly as I bought 3 from B&Q, 6 from ebay and 1 on a Gardner's World Magazine offer.
Wow, 2, seems like not many, but I am sure there is a good reason for this.

Unknown said...

Misty I put 3 in my 35 litre bags last year with good results see my post here http://paulsallotmentblog.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html
Simon I will se you there can't come walking as I am working during the day,you probably would not have been able to keep up If I did come anyway.

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Thanks Paul, Just been to take a look. great information and I am now following your blog too :)