Search This Blog

Monday, February 07, 2011

Sets set

Once again i've had terrible problems getting my Vento onions to germinate this year. I'm convinced the hard green seed casing this particular variety is sold in hinders germination. I have sown a second batch of Vento but I have also taken out extra insurance in the form of these onions sets 'Setton' just in case the Vento fails again. Setton is a similar shape to Vento so I should be able to harvest at a similar diameter for the under 250g classes. A couple of 24 cell trays were filled with good quality compost mixed with nutrimate and Vitax Q4 and the onion sets pushed in to a third depth.



A common problem with onions grown from sets is premature bolting, or running to seed, so I shall keep an eye on night temperatures and bring the trays indoors if frost is forecast so they don't get a check in growth. Onions from sets is a popular class in my local shows. Whether I can grow them to a good enough standard to exhibit at NVS shows against onions grown from seed is a different matter but I think it is possible.




















Most of my shallots are now showing green top growth although it is looking a little 'unhealthy' at the tips. I find this very often to be the case in the early days as the plants are often out of kilter whilst they find the correct balance between root and leaf growth. A good watering with rain water from the butt soon sees them greening up.




















An important task through the winter months if you have greenhouse borders is to make sure you water them regularly even though you don't actually have anything growing in them. This mimics winter rains and ensures any nutrients are not locked away. I'm not into the science of it but it's called a 'build up of salts' and I will often pour several buckets of water over the beds to ensure I have a workable soil come Spring time.


This particular border is where I usually grow my cucumbers but a different method for cu's means I shall be able to try a few 'exhibition' onions here this season.


7 comments:

Wmff said...

I was able to transplant 70 vento onions last week out of 150 seeds sown. I agree with you that the green coating on the seed seem to keep the first leaf down in the compost, it was difficult work transplanting them.
I like the look of your sets though.

Anonymous said...

no comments on united simon, i wonder why?

Richard W. said...

28 Vento sown in one small tray - nearly 3 weeks and just 7 have germinated! My first batch are a little better, but not growing as well as other varieties. I won't bother with them again.

I'm going to try 'Centurion' sets as a replacement.

Do we really need to know about your 'premature bolting' problem?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

There are some right cowards around in the world. The anonymous poster knows damn well I would give as good back and more for that United comment! Bet it's Bastow!

Still top of the League, still in the FA Cup, still in the Champions League. Where are Leeds? Where are Liverscum? Pah!

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

And I may suffer from premature bolting but I've filled a few prams in me time with it!

Unknown said...

How wrong you are, if I have something to say I will say it without hiding my identity and by the way Leeds are doing just fine thank's for your enquiry
re the Vento still having problems but have managed 30 which should be enough hopefully
I dug around in the ones that did not germinate and found the seed in the middle of the bogey was dry as a bone so maybe they need more water
see you tomorrow and don't forget the tenner you owe me

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Tenner my hairy ballbag....it's t'other way round. Not to mention the petrol for bringing those goodies all the way from Scotland!

Several pints should suffice.....I drive much better when I'm pissed.