Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

My Sherine Amour

Always nice to get home and find a package on the doorstep. Today I got my first order of seed potatoes from JBA, the varieties NVS Sherine (white) and NVS Amour (pink splashes). I don't plan on growing a huge amount of tatties this season, but the ones I do grow I want to grow well in the hope of maybe (just maybe) getting a set on the bench at either Llangollen or Malvern. These two varieties are exclusive to JBA and used to be regular show winners several years ago until they were discontinued. Iain Barbour of JBA resurrected them in order to sponsor two special classes at last year's National for the NVS's 50th anniversary celebrations. Hopefully he'll be doing the same for this year's National.

Tonight I set them out in a tray in the garage and covered them to exclude light. Towards the end of February i'll put them in a warmer, lighter spot to encourage chitting.
Due to work constraints I didn't get my order in time into Dave Thornton's ESP so I've also ordered a small amount of Kestrel and Casablanca from JBA. Iain Barbour has kindly offered to personally select the spuds for my order from his vast set up to ensure the best quality for exhibition. Seems like a blatant attempt at trying to ensure his name is kept out of next year's Smithyveg awards to me!

9 comments:

JBA seed potatoes said...

Yeah Smithy Hand picked your Kestrel today for you just so you are given the best chance possible.

Not that I want to put any pressure on you or anything by telling people you have the best seed.

Dave should have his spuds tomorrow I hope.

I have been shocked at how popular the NVS Sherine and Amour have been and if I am asked to sponsor the special class again then I will do it.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Put some dogshit in Dave's package for me!

JBA seed potatoes said...

Lucky for Dave his tatties only fell off the lorry twice.lol

I put a little voodoo doll of you into his spuds so if you feel a bit travel sick then you know why now.

mistyhorizon2003 said...

What, no 'Blue Belle' this season Simon? These are the ones I am looking forward to most after reading your blog last season.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Misty,

I certainly had intended to grow Blue Belle again as it is a very attractive looking spud but as I've since decided to reduce the amount of spuds this year in order to devote an obscene amount of time and space to growing peas something had to give. Therefore, Blue Belle was knocked on the head as I would rather grow what I consider banker show winning varieties. Everyone I spoke to last season confirmed that Blue Belle grows a little bit flat for top class exhibition, and indeed the few I grew were fairly flattish although they still won locally for me.

I think I will wait and get feedback from other growers this season and see how they suggest growing it. Let me know how it turns out for you.

chris the gardener said...

hi smithy just got some spuds winston and the eyes are realy small is this normal

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Chris....by small eyes I assume you mean shallow?

Shallow eyes is good for exhibition spuds as deep eyes is seen as a fault. Winston has been the best white for many years now and takes some beating.

chris the gardener said...

cheers simon sounds good hope they turn out ok

mistyhorizon2003 said...

No worries Simon, I will let you know how I get on with them :)