Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

Alliums

Yesterday I noticed the first shoots on my potted up shallots in the greenhouse so all is well there. It was well into February before they got started last season so they are ahead of the game. I gave all the others a bit of a tug and all of them came up with the pot meaning they have all rooted. I should think this is one crop I will definitely be putting on the bench at the National in August.




















I pricked out 24 exhibition onion seedlings yesterday into a 24-cell tray. I always like to prick out at the 'crook' stage when there is only an inch or so of root, as the plants soon perk up after planting if you do so at this early stage. These are now under the same light as my leeks. This variety (from Scotland!) has a nice flask shape and I only intend growing 20 or so, giving them each as much TLC as I can in an attempt to get a nice even set. I shall pot on regularly, not allowing them to get too pot bound so that there is nice even growth throughout the season. I'll never be a good onion grower until I can afford a proper lighting chamber but i'd like to try and get some bulbs to the 3lb mark this season.




















The rest of the garden is still a complete mess although I did manage to get my two long raised beds at the bottom of my garden dug over where I grow my leeks and onions. I keep saying every year I will get a tunnel over these but I never seem to get around to it. There isn't much activity in nearby gardens for the time being but at least I have next door's inquisitive springer spaniels for company.





















And today I was given a dilemma as Dave Thornton asked me if I wanted to help him man the NVS stand at the Edible Garden Show at Stoneleigh Park in March. I had already agreed to go up to Scotland that weekend to do some mountain walking. Toss of a coin methinks.

Here is a link to the event

http://www.theediblegardenshow.co.uk/

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you did that post mate, that's just the stage I am at and didn't know for sure when to prick out. Mine are now looking the same as yours

Damo said...

I'm a bit behind on the onion front. Tough call I'd be up in the mountains myself, don't get many chances these days, bit flat down here in Wiltshire.

chris the gardener said...

i think id choose three days at the show all expenses and maybe some freebes just show some pics of your toms and sign people up

Dan said...

I had to buy some shallots from Gardening News.
Jeeeeesus what a price.
Still not planted the buggers though,need to get my finger out.
Getting some more Giant Onions from my North East contact though this week for me to grow on under lights so I said never again but I just couldn't resist.

Richard W. said...

Good to see that my Hative de Niort are at the same stage as yours.

As last year, I've sown most of my onions into 24 cell modules, so as to avoid the initial trasplant at the crook stage. It strikes me that there must be some risk of damage to such a young root and and I can't really see any disadvantage with module sowing. The plan is to pot on my first batch (sown on 1/12) this coming weekend into 3.5" pots.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Richard,

There is a chance of doing damage to the delicate seedlings during pricking out (apt name for you) but only if you're a ham-fisted southern turdburglar.

The idea of sowing in a small pot or tray is that you only use a small amount of seed compost which of course has only limited nutrients. You invariably get erratic germination so if you sow direct into 24 cell module trays you would have to sow 3 or 4 seeds per cell to ensure at least one germinated. You would still get root disturbance once you pulled excess seedlings out. By regular potting on to slightly bigger pots you are ensuring regular, steady, even growth and increasing the nutrient level each time as and when the plant is ready to accept it. You wouldn't give a new born baby steak for its dinner would you?

Yes it is a bit of extra effort but if you want to exhibit the best end product that you can it is worth going to the extra trouble.

Unknown said...

Simon My shallots are all at diferent stages the ones from you are about the same as yours my Onions are well advanced maybe too far as there are 6 weeks still to go till planting out so we will have to see
my Leeks are coming on nicely how are yours?
I will post later.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Leeks just ticking along but don't know if they received a check when my bulb failed one cold evening.

Richard W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard W. said...

Turdburglar? What a coincidence. So am I!

Point taken, particularly re. nutrients. As to germination, I sow 2 seeds per module as far apart as is feasible and to minimise any root disturbance. Maybe I've been lucky, but so far all my module stations have a seedling. However, I have sown my second lot of Vento in a tray to see if there really is any noticable difference.

I see Paul Daniels has put his toupee on Ebay. Are you going to bid, or shall I do it for you like last week with the rubber goat (one careful owner)?