Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Progress

Most of my Sweet Candle stations have now germinated.












These are the first parsnips 'Pinnacle' that came through and are therefore the biggest......a long way to go yet though.












My shallots are starting to split naturally but I will be helping these along at the weekend I think. More on that then. Needs weeding too!












The first 8 tomato plants 'Cedrico' were potted on last night. These will be planted out towards the middle of May and I shall be growing these slightly differently this season to try and maximise yield towards the end of the season for some late shows.













I have 5 pumpkins that have germinated well, and I have named them Gerrard, Reina, Ngog, Kuyt and Carragher. I will probably only grow 3 of these and give the other 2 away.













I haven't often grown long beet but I have decided to have another crack this year with a view to perhaps displaying a set of 3 at Malvern. There were only a couple of entries last year so I figured I may have a chance of a ticket if I can grow a reasonable set. I don't usually like growing in pipes but decided on this method for long beet (var. Cheltenham Green Top), with 8 black plastic 8" dia. waste tubes set into a couple of drums that in turn are set into a raised metal bed. The metal bed and drums have been filled with sieved compost from the compost heap that were well sterilised with some Jeyes fluid. The pipes were filled with the same mix as I used for my carrots. I was given various mixes to try but after speaking to Dave Thornton he said he used his carrot mix last season and grew his best long beet ever, culminating in first place at Westminster for a tap root collection. A cluster of seeds were sown half an inch deep in the middle of each pipe. You don't often see CGT on the benches, most top growers using 'Regar' but I prefer the look of CGT when grown well.

No comments: