Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Early days

Still plenty of work needs to be done before April is out but things are starting to come together. I have plenty of onions from sets growing in cell trays as this is quite a popular class where I live. I am growing red onion 'Red Baron' and also 'Setton' which I've grown before and give nice, regularly shaped, flattish bulbs that could even be entered in the 'under 8oz' class. I like to start sets off in cell trays in the greenhouse in February rather than straight into the ground as birds can tug them out when they're looking for nesting material. After a couple of weeks of hardening off I shall now be planting these out this weekend. At the top of the picture you can see my exhibition shallots which are looking really good since they were planted out a couple of weeks ago. These will be ready for splitting in 2 or 3 weeks I think.














I have two long raised beds where one day I shall erect a polytunnel to be able to grow my onions and leeks under cover. The left hand one has white rot in the soil so I have treated it with Basamid soil sterilent. The soil has to be covered over for a few weeks whilst the chemical reaction takes place, hence the various compost bags. This is lethal stuff and has to be used very carefully so I used disposable plastic gloves whilst I was applying it, especially after licking my fingers last season when eating a pizza despite having washed my hands. I immediately felt quite nauseous. Soft twat.













The first potato shoots are showing through the compost in these experimental buckets that I set up to see if I could get some exhibition quality spuds for a show in early July. The large pots contain the sieved compost and nutrients (and the potato!) and this pot is set into some soil inside a large builder's bucket. The roots will grow through the bottom of the pot into this soil. The idea was to be able to keep them in the greenhouse during March when night temperatures were low. I can put them outside if the forecasts are favourable and bring them inside again if low temperatures are on the cards. It will get a bit more awkward once the foliage grows but as I only have 3 Kestrel and 3 Winston it won't be too much of a chore.














In the same greenhouse my boxed up dahlia tubers are showing the first green shoots. I should be able to start taking cuttings within a couple of weeks.













A couple of weeks ago I replaced my leaky garage roof with a nice bright, shiny, waterproof tin one. I can now shelter indoors during downpours whereas before I would have been drier if I'd stayed outside. Whilst I was up on the roof I saw my garden from a whole new angle and took this photo. Sadly, neither of my neighbours share my passion for gardening!




8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Simon in reply to your question I entered my local village show last year it was not planned I was given an allotment last spring it was covered in 4 foot high Brambles I spent a lot of time creating a garden which I am still doing I was asked on the morning of the local show if i was entering anything so I grabbed the shedule and picked some veg I duly won 4 firsts 3 seconds and 2 thirds I need to do better this time I have started a blog but it will take a while to get up to date as there is so much to say I may start where I am now and show how I got here later
cheers again Paul

Dan said...

Nice to see things are coming along with you.
How are your onions doing?
Mine are absolute Shite (Thanks Mr Fothergill).
Some of my (your kindly donated) shallots have suddenly decided to die too,God knows why ?,that is a new one for me.
I'm pinning all my hopes on your Pumpkin seeds this year now.
Oh Joy !

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Dan, My 8oz onions aren't doing brilliantly I must admit....I put it down to the late start to the season. I think I'll get a few 'bolters' this year.

Got some big onions from Dave Metcalfe but I haven't been impressed wih them so far. I have a few more coming from a local grower soon and I've always done better with his.


As for the shallots I've never heard of anything like that happening. All mine started very late but are now growing strongly.

Paul....I'm sure you'll do even better this season. Just remember the key is all about condition and uniformity. Your veg doesn't have to be the biggest.

Simon

kev broxholme said...

you might have put that lable on the dahlia tuber the right way up so that i cud read which variety you are intending showing this year. even standing on my head i have been unable to decipher which variety it is.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Glad to clear up the mystery for you Kev.....t'is one called Ryecroft Laura and is one that Paul Harvey gave to me to look after whilst he went walkabout in Nepal. All of his have started to throw up shoots thank God (I shall post a list soon).....whereas my own Jomanda and Alf Ramsey are (so far)still very much dormant.

kev broxholme said...

thanks for the info. after last years cock up dare i say that i will have some spare jomanda and sir alf ramsey plants which you are welcome to.
they will be of championship quality just like Hull City!

Damo said...

Your neighbour likes their gravel!

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Hmmmmph.....don't get me going on that Damo. An old lady lives there and she's the most miserable titwitch you could imagine. Until a couple of years ago it was just overgrown bramble but then one day she had the whole lot cleared by a right cowboy outfit. They had a bonfire in the garden one day and covered my veg with ash so I threw and absolute humdinger of a titfit at them, so much so that I thought they were going to jump over the fence and beat me up!!!

All they did was cover everything over with membrane and throw all that quarry waste over it. The f*cking weeds still come through and there are all sorts of nasties such as asbestos buried under there.