Search This Blog

Monday, May 26, 2008

The engine room!



This randomly manufactured wooden box on an untidy, overgrown patch of land in the lane at the bottom of my garden is now producing some lovely black compost from the bottom. At the moment I’m using it to fill my large pots and tubs and topping off with bought compost. All our kitchen vegetable waste goes into the top of this bin except potato peelings which I find tend to root and grow. I also put on old teabags and crushed eggshells as well as fleshy garden waste (not perennial weed roots) and the odd layer of grass clippings. I find I don’t have to turn it over and it all rots down quite nicely in about a year, and by taking off the top plank at the front and wedging the others up I can dig out the good stuff from the bottom. I’m going to make a second bin so that I can empty the unrotted stuff from the top of the 1st into it and get all of the good stuff from the bottom easier.

No comments: