Search This Blog

Monday, May 26, 2008

Bulging greenhouse


I only have two small (8'x6') greenhouses and I'm constantly having to rearrange pots and trays at this time of year to get the most of my limited shelving. Most of them now need putting outside to harden off but I'm still sowing runner beans, cucumbers, marrows, lettuce and caulis as I want all my veg to be ready from late August to early October.

The large pots on the shelves contain aubergines. I tried growing these last year without agreat deal of success so I'm having another go. I've planted them on a mound of compost as I read that they don't like to have their roots too wet, and planting this way allows excess water to run off.

At the back of the staging are my dahlia cuttings rooting (hopefully) in mini-cloches of cut off lemonade bottles. I managed to pot on the first of my successfully rooted cuttings of Emma's Coronet and Kenora Sunset yesterday, with several more to follow in the next few days (time allowing).

In fact the next few days are going to be a bit manic.....I need to support my leek foliage with a bamboo frame, pot on the first of my caulis, plant more spuds (Malin), plant my gladioli (yes I know they're a bit late but they always flower early for me if planted in May!), thin out my carrots etc etc etc. I really need to win the lottery so I can retire early!

No comments: