Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thinning tomato trusses




When showing veg different veg have different attributes and one of the requirements of tomatoes is that they should be as round as possible. One thing I noticed last year was that many of mine had flattish sides where they were resting against their neighbours on the truss. As I fed them well they grew larger than usual so there was more tendency for them to touch.



I've since found out that the top growers will thin the trusses as soon as the developing tomatoes are the size of a pea to give each fruit more room and hopefully prevent flat side syndrome.
The bottom pic shows one of the trusses I have thinned this year. If you look at the top pic which shows some of my crop from last year....you can clearly see how crowded they get so it is inevitable they will not all end up a uniform, round shape.




No comments: