Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2007

Caulis



I've never really successfully managed to grow cauliflowers for show so I'm hoping to do better this year. They're generally accepted as one of the more difficult veg to grow well and timing is often the thing that lets you down. You always seem to have one ready on show day without a partner to match it or else you have 2 perfect 3 or 4 days before the show!






They also like lots of bulky organic matter digging into the beds in the previous autumn, but because I don't have a piece of ground I can keep free for them they invariably have to go in where something else has been grown and since harvested, meaning the soil has been depleted of nutrients. I'll be planting my caulis within the next couple of weeks.....they're only 2" high seedlings at the moment. You can reckon on 12-14 weeks or so from sowing to showing with caulis but it all depends on conditions. In hot summers you really have to give them plenty of water in order for them to develop large, solid curds.

No comments: