Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Cabbage update






I've not shown my cabbages on here for a while. The variety in the picture is Brigadier which can grow to huge proportions but with good form and quality also. You may be able to notice a series of strings suspended above them which is there to deter pigeons. The don't like to have obstructions above them apparently as it means they may get caught if they have to do an emegency take off if an angry gardener comes down the garden at them! In the past I've planted my cabbages and retired to the house for a quick cuppa, only to return half an hour later to find my newly planted seedlings have all been eaten! Pigeons SUCK!





The only problem now will be to keep cabbage white caterpillars away and I plan to do this with a spraying made from a solution containing rhubabrd leaves. The butterflies hate the smell (allegedly) and won't lay eggs on leaves that have been watered with s

No comments: