Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Pesky Tasco Frisco fiasco!

When I failed to get my favoured 250g onion variety 'Vento' germinated through those satanic ball bearing like seed casings I ordered some 'Tasco' instead from the website of an exhibition seeds supplier that I've used from time to time. They're not my first choice supplier but I've ordered the odd packet of seeds from them in the past with no problems, so I was looking forward to sowing the 'Tasco' as quickly as possible as it's a variety i've grown successfully in the past and I know it can still win on the benches. So I was a little disapponted to receive another variety through the post called 'Frisco F1' as 'Tasco' was out of stock...allegedly! Nevertheless, these were duly thrown into a pot of compost, germinated very quickly and have now been pricked out into plantpak 24's where they continue to make good progress, and even with a late sowing I reckon I can get them to size and ripe in time for Llangollen.
 
The reason I'm confident is that I reckon they're actually Tasco! If you Google 'Frisco F1' on t'interweb you get info on a butternut squash, a tomato variety and even a formula one racing driving called Giles Frisco or something similar. But not a mention of an onion called Frisco. Digging deeper I find that this supplier isn't supposed to sell Tasco despite advertising it on his website. So what do you do when faced with a shit load of seeds you cannot legally sell and face being out of pocket? I reckon these seeds were simply remarketed as Frisco in the hope that no f*cker would be any the wiser. Well they didn't reckon on a nosy twat from Loughborough fingering their little scheme. Let's just say this supplier has previous! The website also lists a 'Favourite' type stump carrot that is set to rival Sweet Candle. But I know of two top stump growers who grew this last season and they ended up looking exactly like Sweet Candle. I don't think they became shit growers overnight somehow!
 
Whilst on the subject of stumps Dave Thornton today informed me he's going to be trialling a new Medwyn introduction called 'Match' which comes from the same stable as Gringo. Gringo used to rule the roost until Sweet Candle came along so it will be interesting to see how 'Match' performs.

1 comment:

David said...

Lol. Naughty boys!

They must feel sick when they see your orders knowing if they screw up they'll have their pants pulled down on here! Serves them right!

Dave