Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Thinning the stumps

I thinned my stump carrots Sweet Candle today. I ought to have done this a week ago really as the plants were a little on the large side but I think I've got away with it. You decide which one you want to keep in each station then pull the others out one by one, pulling sideways and out at an angle of roughly 45 degrees......slowly and carefully! I used to cut them at sand surface level, but it's felt you can be leaving problems behind by doing this. There is plant material left in the bore hole with the potential for rotting. Most of the top NVS boys do it this way so it's good enough for me.







I was happy to find all the discards had nice long tap roots, with not a single corkscrew or multi-root among them. . Unless I'm very unlucky, my remaining roots should all be the same.






The thinned out station. Take the time also to pull up any weeds that can harbour pests. A sprinkle of insecticide around the crown (I use forate) and the enviromesh cover is pulled back over the bed. It's now in the lap of the Gods







No comments: