Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

In search of brownie points


I've not been blogging much the past few weeks as I'm trying to avoid having a 'Tiger' done on me by decorating the house to keep the missus sweet! I find that a few weeks of intense DIY keeps me in credit for the following growing season....just!

However, tonight I did manage to get along to my local NVS district association to see an illustrated talk by Mark Roberts on staging collections at the highest level. Rest assured that all the tips I picked up will be divulged on here over the coming months.

Mark won the collection of 6 veg at the NVS National in 2007 after 3 years of trying when the common consensus is that it takes 10 years for most of the top growers to reach that accolade. And all that from a guy who hates gardening and doesn't grow veg to eat. He grows purely for the collection classes at the very top shows. Last year he had a power cut in February which meant he lost all of his onions and leeks one frosty night so he just didn't bother growing anything at all. He just lost interest.

I dunno....some people give up too easily!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't start counting your chickens yet, you have only done part of 2 weekends so far, hardly 'intense'!

x

ps but you are making a very good job ;o)