Search This Blog

Thursday, November 13, 2008

It pays to be nice to me!

Seeing as this lovely person praised me so much and is also so obviously an anti-slughugger I have absolutely no hesitation in plugging her product! (I can be 'bought' that way you see!)

"Hi, what an awesome blog. I love your pics and your comments are hilarious. I am from South Africa and we are hugely embracing the whole eco-friendly, tree-hugging, bird loving mentality (aka Al Gore) right now. We make a kind of plastic netting that farmers use to protect fledgling plants, vegetables and even vineyards from pesky bats and birds - in a humane way. Maybe something to protect your exquisite babies in? Check it out"http://www.plasticexports.wordpress.com/.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey that is really schweet. Thank you. I have returned the favour by putting you on my blogroll. Not that mine's as busy as yours...yet. Fingers crossed. On the humane-a-snail situation. Would love your advice. My friend has a serious snail plague at her new home. After discussing the various brutal means of disposing of them (salt! Broken egg-shells - apparantly they bleed to death -jeeez...poison) I excercised what little authority remains and declared a snail competition. So after a bit of negotiation 4 of us grabbed plastic bags and stormed the garden to see who can bag the most snails in 15 mins. The prize - a lovely bottle of bubbly, care of our hostess. Well I am sure I won but it was hotly contested and since nobody were prepared to count four bags FULL of squirmy snails - we all drank the bubbly together. We drove the snails to a nearby open field - and set them free (took about a bloody hour to coax them out. Anyway she recons they have radared home because the pestilence is as bad as ever 2weeks later. Do you have a top secret PETA/snail friendly solution?
PS: Maybe I can trap them here in SA and them post them to you were they can shepherd the bl++dy pedestrians along pedestrian crossings.:-)

Much obliged
Astrid

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Hi Astrid,

I use slug pellets....always have done and always will. It takes a second to shake a few out and they are very, very effective. Slugs and snails are drawn to them.

I only put them around suspect crops such as lettuce and carrots.

I don't go in for all this guff that wildlife are affected by eating dead slugs.....you never see a bird eating a dead slug.

Simon

Anonymous said...

Hi Simon

Thanks for the feedback...I think... Here is what my mate Morne had to say of your snail advice...

"Oh Lord – snail pellets it is!!!! Yippy!!!
Thank Simon for me!!!"

Obviously delighted that she finally has the green light.

On another topic... Do you know the South African indigenous fynbos species? Something you might be interested in. The most awesome floral beauties ... I can mail you a photo or two of the King Protea and pin cushion if you like

Astrid