Search This Blog

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Time to dream......


Most top growers will already have their 'large' onions growing away well in the cossetted atmosphere of growing chambers with thermostatically controlled heating and 24 hour lighting. The aim is to grow them as big as possible, some even aiming to go for the 'heaviest onion' class at their local show. I prefer to relax at this time of year and get my plants from local growers in March at a size I could never hope to achieve with my current equipment (a cold greenhouse!).



However, it doesn't stop you admiring the dedication of the people who manage to enter at places like Harrogate. The picture shows the Harrogate judges 'topping' the entries before putting them on the scales. I think the current world record stands at about 16lbs.

No comments: