Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Told you so


I keep banging on to people who shy out of having a go at their local show that biggest doesn't always win. If the biggest is in the best condition then of course it will......but your little onions can win against the big boys if you remember the golden rules.....condition, colour and uniformity.




At Sutton Bonington Show this year my tiny 8oz onions 'Tasco' won 'Best Onion Exhibit' because they were all the same size, a nice evenly harvested nut-brown colour and in good condition. The winning onions in the 'heavy class' were huge....maybe 5lbs each......but fell down on the other merits and so my dish was given the overall award, much to the surprise no doubt of the other exhibitors and the paying public who come to the show.





The same rules apply in all the other veg classes.....look for quality before anything else. A good judge will never be blinded by size. If only I could convince my missus!

No comments: