Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sunny by name and by nature



I've been very impressed with the lettuce variety 'Sunny' that I 've grown for the first time this year. Not only does it have a nice peppery taste but it's an excellent plant that's stands well in rows and is easy to match up. I grew about 20 plants specifically for the 'Any other veg' classes and picked up a few '3rds' along the way, but they've looked their best in the last week or so when I haven't had any shows. Next season I'll be sure to get them in a little earlier.








If 'showing' lettuce dig up the whole plant roots and all and knock off any large lumps of soil. Wash the remaining soil under a tap or hose jet. Wrap these exposed roots in some damp kitchen towel and this should keep the plants fresh on the show bench for a couple of days. Remove any of the lower leaves that may have gone yellow or suffered pest damage.

No comments: