Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It's raining !


Seems weird to have been praying for rain in April but the ground is so hard that it was very difficult to dig and break down into a tilth for seed sowing. And all my 3 large water butts are virtually empty so I've had to keep fetching cans of water from the kitchen.



Anyway....tis raining now....hoorah!



Above is a pic of another method for growing long parsnips in sections of plastic drainpipe and shows that even with a small patch of ground it can be achieved. I 'cottoned on' to this method a few years ago when I realised that I wasn't winning at the show I do in Sturton, Lincolnshire where they prefer their parsnips with a little bit more weight around the shoulder. Because the pipes are shorter than the drums or raised beds I usually grow parsnips in they get down into the soil quicker and tend to start filling out sooner and as a consequence 'bulk out' a lot more. I also use up a lot more compost mix to fill each pipe up. These seeds were sown a couple of weeks ago and as yet have not germinated.

No comments: