Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

It's all gathering pace now.....




Well.....I'm back after a week's holiday and what a lot I've got done. All my carrots are sown and my parsnips are through.....I hope they turn out as good as the ones above that I grew a couple of years ago.


My large exhibition onions were planted in the greenhouse border soil......I've sunk watering bottles into the soil next to each onion so that I can keep the surface of the soil dry and hopefully keep any fungal spores from spoiling the surface of the bulbs.
In my greenhouse I've pricked out my cabbages and brussels and my standard fuchsias have been root trimmed and repotted. My blanch leeks are growing strongly and will be planted in another week or two.
Next on the agenda will be the stump rooted carrots and potatoes that are grown in plastic pots. More on these in next few weeks.
From now on the hobby becomes a morning/noon and night thing as there is always something that needs doing NOW.......from pricking out seedlings to planting and spraying. The work I am doing now will determine how many 'red cards' I pick up in the shows in August/September and October and as I mentioned at the end of last season I don't want to have to cut corners again. You get found out in the end. Therefore, I'm taking more care with my mixes and bed preparation than I have done in the past. Other things such as making sure every thing is tidy and in its right place are important too.....I've found a pair of secateurs, a trowel, a knife and and a bottle of slug pellets in amongst the undergrowth as I've been tidying the beds and borders ! If I'd put them back after I'd used them last season things would be much easier !

No comments: