Search This Blog

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Geoff Hamilton



A couple of weeks ago I arranged for Nick and Sue Hamilton to give a talk at our horticultural society AGM and a very interesting and entertaining evening it was too. Nick is the son of the late, great Geoff Hamilton the former (and by far the best) presenter of BBC Gardener's World. The programme used to be presented from his 'Barnsdale' garden near Oakham in Leicestershire and was great for novices like me in that Geoff told you exactly how to do things in simple terms. I find the programme now is so frustrating as it flits from shot to shot in a bid to show trendy camera angles, and they try to pack far too much into it. Stick to basics for pity's sake! I feel sorry for new gardeners if they watch GW these days......it would have left me even more bewildered than when I started I reckon.

Barnsdale is open to the public and several courses are run throughout the year on various subjects. Despite being an 'organic manic' I feel sure that anything Nick runs would be very enjoyable and excellent value for money.

http://www.barnsdalegardens.co.uk/ie-index.html

No comments: