Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

Pepper Rooney

Today I found out that some scumbag had hacked into my Facebook account on Tuesday and wrote a comment referring to that great Manchester United hero Wayne Rooney as a 'fat, useless traitor'. Tut,tut. Nothing is sacred these days.

Anyways, today I'm talking peppers, or capsicums if you want to be cleverer than you look....as I often do. Reading other folks' blogs and websites it appears it's been a bumper season for peppers. I've never won anywhere with peppers but I did have a couple of good seconds this season at Malvern with this set of 5 'Californian Wonder' below........


















.......and this dish of 3 at Westminster (middle left). I took a long time deciding on the fruits for both shows, trying to get blocky fruits with similar profiles and no skin blemishes. It paid off as there were bigger fruits at both shows but obviously not in as good condition.














I struggle to get my fruits to colour up and think it may be because I grow the plants too well and therfore they are too lush. I reduce the tomato foliage later in the season to ripen the fruits and perhaps I have to do the same with my peppers. Having said that some varieties colour up easier and John Croot grew this variety from a supermarket seed to win the coloured pepper class at Westminster.




It only needs me now to apologise to anyone who may have received texts and emails from 'me' in the last few days calling Wayne 'legend' Rooney a treacherous scouser who should be shot through the nostrils. Those damned hackers get everywhere!

6 comments:

geoffos garden said...

i might be wrong simon ,but i seem to think this was just a scam pointing the finger at the glazers. what do you think.

Unknown said...

It might be my dad who hacked in to your Facebook. If you remember he called him a usless fat C**t on your blog a couple of months ago, it seems he was not far of the mark
even though he had escaped from the old peoples home at the time !!

Richard W. said...

Is that why the they slung you out of Westminster? I said it was a mistake telling that 20-something blonde that you were struggling to get your fruits to colour up and and could she take a look at your root. LOL!

On a slightly more serious note.........

As far as peppers are concerned (chillies in my case), 2009 was an abject failure for me culminating in a really crap harvest. However, this year has been my best season by a country mile. I put it down to better husbandry on my part, but maybe it was a weather thing as many are reporting similar success.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Geoff.....who knows. The important thing is he's staying. I never doubted him for a minute (ahem).

Paul.....you could be right. These silver surfers are getting out of control. And whilst we're on the subject don't you think this current trend of putting disabled and old folks' ramps everywhere is laying us wide open for a dalek invasion?

Richard.....really? Was there a 20yr old blonde there? The youngest person I saw there was 69 and he was taking pretentious photos.

Richard W. said...

She was the one giving the photographer a BJ. Didn't you notice? Go play with your crayons.

Anonymous said...

HI,SMITHY ALL THE PROSTITUES IN THE NORTH ARE HAPPY ROONEYS GOT AN INCREASE THEY CAN NOW PUT THERE PRICES UP FOR THERE BEST CUSTOMER.JB.