Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2007


Last year I started to grow a pumpkin that appeared to be aiming for huge proportions. At one point it was putting on 2 " of circumference every day reaching about 1000mm ......but then it just stopped for no apparent reason and started to rot.
After clearing it away I found the tell-tale sighns of a mouse nest right next to the decaying remains of the pumpkin. I think a mouse had managed to tunnel into the pumpkin and caused it to collapse. Mice cannot resist the seeds you see.
I wasn't going to bother trying again but I couldn't resist and I purchased another packet of seeds (not the 'special' ones I acquired last year however). The seeds were sown a fortnight ago and they were through in a few days. The first 'true' leaves are now showing and the plants will need potting on into a bigger pot fairly soon.
Hopefully, I'll have more luck this year.....but I'll have to set a few mouse traps nearer the time.

No comments: